Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Layne's got another concussion

I got a phone call yesterday while I was at work. Layne's teacher called and said he was sick. She said he threw up at snack time. Those of you that know Layne know that he is one of those kids who vomits all of the time. He has reflux along with a very sensitive gag reflex, so throw up is pretty normal around our house. So, as I was going to get him, I thought this was just another one of his episodes. Well, when I got to his preschool, he was asleep on a restmat while all of the other kids were on the playground. His teacher told me about his vomiting incident and also said that he had hit his head during their chapel time. Apparently him and another little boy got a little rough and this boy knocked Layne to the floor. She said that she didn't see him fall, but heard the "thump". This was immediately before snack time. My first thought was concussion. He had one in the spring (another story) and I knew what to look for. I went to wake him up and as soon as I did, he threw up again. I then asked him where he hurt and he replied "my head hurts".

When we left, I called our doctor's office and they told me to bring him in. Of course, on our way, Layne threw up again. Our doc looked at him and didn't think he needed a CT scan at this point. This was around noon and he said to call him back in a few hours with a report of how he was doing. On the way home he has another vomiting episode. We get home and he falls asleep. He sleeps for about 2 hours then I have to wake him up to go pick up Anna. He wakes up okay and I think he is over it. Well, wouldn't you know he throws up again. It's like he pukes everytime he moves around a little bit. This is around 3:00 and I leave a message for my doctor giving him an update. He calls back around 3:45 and says he is going to call a neurosurgeon and get his opinion on what to do. He calls me back around 4:15 and says they are in agreement that Layne needs a CT scan. They feel that he should not be showing symptoms four hours later. Layne was still just laying on the couch at this point. Not acting his normal self at all. I tell him it had been over an hour since he last vomited, but he really wanted to make sure everything was okay. The only way to do so was with the CT scan.

So, we have to go to the ER for this b/c of the time of day. By the time I figured out what to do with Anna, we got to the ER at 5:15. We didn't wait long at all in the waiting room, but the whole ordeal lasted 3 hours. Didn't get home until after 8 last night. The CT scan was clear (which we all thought it would be, be you never know for sure). I asked the ER doc why he has had two concussions is 6 months. Of course he didn't even answer my question. He replied with "you need to make sure he wears a helmet when on his bike and roller skates". I stated "that's not the problem, the problem is in everyday play!". By this point (around 7:30) I was too tired to argue and figured we would need to speak with a specialist anyway. He just reminded me that some kids are more sensitive to head trauma than others and once you have a concussion, you are more likely to have others. We are going to talk to our regular doc and see if this is something that needs to be addressed. Looks like no football for Layne in the future!!

4 comments:

Whitney said...

Oh' no!!!! Too bad you had to go the ER! Expensive plus it takes so long! That is weird that he's had 2 in 6 months! No football? I guess he can help Ken coach!

It's getting a little late tonight so I'll call and check on him tomorrow! Keep us updated!

Blessings All Mine said...

Glad he's okay! That would have scared me! No football??? Wouldn't you know it, a coach's son can't play. Figures! It's in his blood, ya know...his dad's a coach, and his mom grew up in the biggest football town in southeast AR. Bummer! Better that he not play if it means that he stays healthy, though!

Anonymous said...

I am SO sorry this happened!!!! What an ordeal. I'm glad you're going to follow up with your doctor, always good...although if it was anything to worry about too much, I'm sure it would have shown up on CT, so that's a great sign. I will keep you ALL in my prayers. I'll give you a call. Love you, Shan

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful he is alright. Please tell him we love him. Rhonda