Well, we lost in a heartbreaker. 3 overtimes, 76-73. I still can't believe it. What a weekend. It started on Friday. We left Abilene Friday afternoon and flew into Rapid City, SD. Me and three other coach's wives rented a car (which ended up being upgraded to a truck-thank goodness. I don't think we could have put all of our luggage into the trunk of a car). We drove about 30 miles to Mt. Rushmore. It was really beautiful. We went on a short walking trail and by the time we were finished, it was dark. It got dark there around 4:30. Since our stomachs thought it was 5:30 (time change), we went off to find something for dinner. There was really only one place open in the little tourist town. It was a pizza joint and it was very good.
We left Keystone and headed to Chadron, NE. It was a two-hour drive with literally nothing in between. We got turned around once and ended up in a small town. While we were driving through the downtown area, a huge buck deer crossed the road. We couldn't believe it. I tried to get a picture, but I couldn't figure out how to take a photo of a moving animal in the dark.
We got to Chadron around 8:30. We got up the next morning and decided we would leave for the game around 10:30. The game didn't start until noon, but we didn't want to get there before 11:30 b/c we thought we would be freezing. We left the hotel and drove around the town and decided to check out the stadium. We drove by at 10:45 and that place was packed!! We decided to just park and eat at the game. I ended up having way too many layers on and took off several before the game even started. It was a beautiful afternoon. The weather there was actually better than in Abilene. I am not even going to post about the game except to say that it sucked!!!
After the game, we took off to Rapid City to catch our plane back to Abilene. Wouldn't you know that because of bad weather in Abilene, the plane could not land here, so we had to land in Dallas-Love Field. Charter buses meet us at the airport and were going to take us back to Abilene (2 1/2 hr bus ride). We left the airport around 11:30 and our bus driver was absolutely horrible. He had no idea how to work the defrost (Ken had to stand beside him and wipe off the windshield every 30 sec) and a compartment on the bus kept flying open. He even tried to get it to stay down with tape!! I was a nervous wreck on that bus. There were cars dodging us left and right. The AD on the bus decided that this driver and the bus we were on were not going to be able to get us to Abilene safely, so we stayed the night in Weatherford. I got into my hotel room Sunday morning at 2:15am. We left a few hours later at 10. We finally got back into Abilene around noon and guess what? Snowing again in Abilene.
Jackie (Ken's mom) still had the kids and we had to meet her that afternoon to pick them up. The snow was much worse north of Abilene (where we met) and we did not get back into town until 6 pm. I was so glad to be back home and really glad when I slept in my own bed last night. Football season is over...wow.

4 comments:
I'm linking my blog to yours so everyone can see your pictures since my camera isn't working.
It still seems like a bad dream... hopefully it will give the team a huge drive in off-season. I have just felt depressed all day. We still have a lot to be thankful for though!
P.S. Will you send me a few of your pictures from the trip so that I can put them on-line and get them developed? Thanks!
Wow...sorry about the game. What a trip! Wish the outcome had been better!
Oh my gosh!! I haven't got to talk to you about the trip after the game. Didn't know ya'll had to stay in Weatherford. The pics were beautiful. Maybe it will snow in Arkansas soon. I'll call ya tomorrow.
You always have the worst luck flying!! I hate the results of the game! The pics are great and I can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks....we haven't drawn names that I know of....do you know the plans? Tenille
Post a Comment