Well, where do I begin? Kids went to see grandma last weekend and did great. Anna was still on her antibiotic for strep and we finished the last dose on Wednesday (just two days ago!).
On Monday, the school nurse called me and said that Anna had complained of headache, stomachache, and sore throat. She did not have any fever and it was up to me if I wanted to come and take her home. This was about 10:30 in the morning and I figured she was just exhausted from her weekend at grandma's. So, I went and got her. She came home and took a nap and then was bouncing off of the walls.
She was great (or so I thought). Yesterday (Thursday), I get a call from the school nurse around 8:45 (I had just dropped her off at 8 and she was fine. Had just thrown a fit about her shoes...what a female). Still complaining of the same three things. She doesn't have fever and her teacher says she is acting fine. Nurse gives her some Tylenol and she stays the remainder of the day. She gets home and is again jumping around like a monkey. I think she is probably suffering from allergies and so this morning I gave her some Claritin. Before she goes to school, Ken and I talk with her about when it is appropriate to go to the nurse. We tell her that sometimes we don't feel just "great", but we are still okay. We also tell her to not go to the nurse unless it is absolutely necessary. We are thinking maybe this has become an attention getter.
Today at 1:00, the phone rings. It's not the nurse, it is her teacher. She calls to let me know that Anna is again complaining of the same three issues and she is not acting like herself. She did say she did not have fever. She also says, "Anna told me that you said that she shouldn't go to the nurse anymore". I felt like such a BAD MOMMA! Of course I felt the need to tell her why, but she is a mom and she knew why we had told her that. So, I get off the phone and as I am going to get her I decide to call our doctor and make an appointment for next week to see if she is dealing with some allergy issues. They had an appointment this afternoon (another reason why I LOVE our doctor...can call @ 1 and get in @ 2:30 and be out by 3:05). When I picked her up, I could tell she did not feel good. She also felt warm. At the doctor's office her temperature was 101.7 and she has STREP THROAT. AGAIN!!! So, another antibiotic and the cycle of Tylenol/Motrin is again upon us. I am just praying that the rest of us do not get it and we are all well for our trip in three weeks!!
Now I will forever remember the time that I told Anna not to go to the school nurse anymore and she had strep throat. What a wonderful mommy moment!!
UPDATE: Guess who called me this morning (Saturday)? Anna's teacher. She called to check on her. She is awesome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh' my goodness... crazy! Just from a teacher's perspective, the teacher probably thought your were a good mom by telling her not to go to the nurse b/c I'm betting there are some kids in Anna's class that want to go all the time (always were in mine). One time, I didn't let one of my 1st graders go to the nurse b/c he wanted to go everyday (boy who cried wolf), and he threw up all over me! I felt guilty too! Maybe the 2nd round of antibiotics will knock out Anna's strep.
Oh, no! You are not a bad mommy at all. I would have wondered if it was an attention getter, too. I hope she does better with this round of antibiotics. Cinderella is waiting to see her a few weeks!
Hopefully Anna is starting to feel better now. That is so sweet that her teacher called you. Hope ya'll had a good weekend.
Post a Comment